What to do when your Father-In-Law is ruining your marriage! Here’s a guide to help you cope with an overbearing In Law.
Eventually, you will encounter offensive and overbearing people and your Father-In-Law may be one of them!
Dealing with an overbearing and intrusive Father-In-Law can be quite tough and talking about it to your partner can somehow make it worst. You know that underneath it all, they’re coming from a place of love but their delivery has much to be desired.
As we continue with our lives, we’re constantly measuring up situations and trying to figure out the right responses without upsetting the parties involved. In the end, burying our frustration will only make the matter worse, while paving a road to an unhealthy relationship.
How to deal with an overbearing Father-In-Law?
- Acceptance – We may not like everyone that enter our lives, but we can accept that this is just who they are and that it’s okay. Acknowledging a person trait early on in any relationship can remove some of the strong emotions that coincide with dealing with an overbearing person. Acceptance = less frustration
- Respect their Opinion – We all know a noxious person can drive you insane! …but only if you allow them too. They are entitled to their opinions just as much as you are entitled to your own. Listen, understand them but do not engage!
- Choose the Ladder – The technique for dealing with intrusive fathers-in-law is to keep it civil: learn to master your poker face.
- Don’t take it personally – There are things people go through that you are not aware of and sometimes you end up in their crosshairs. Try to act calmly and think before you respond. Ask yourself, Is it really about me?
- Express your Feelings – Often it’s our tone and our responses that add flames to the fire! If someone’s behavior annoys you, it may be time to communicate with that person. Use Non-aggressive language and be specific about your emotions.